From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [API] First steps for creating an API for portage
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 19:09:05
1 On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM, Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 12:55:37PM +0200, Rennn 'Necoro' Neumann wrote:
4 > > Am 18.06.2010 09:55, schrieb Brian Harring:
5 > > > While I'm not generally a fan of embedding python, in this case it's
6 > > > what makes sense.  That said I'm not hugely convinced the proposal on
7 > > > the table is accurate- knocking out a public portage API needs to
8 > > > occur, but a c-api is a very large and seperate beast from a public
9 > > > python API- namely due to crossing the vm, having to do FFI
10 > > > conversions, etc.  It's not the simplest thing.
11 > >
12 > > Well - there a tools like Cython which will take large parts of this
13 > > burden from your shoulder.
14 >
15 > Cython is for extending python, embedding python.  Cython doesn't do
16 > jack for embedding... frankly very little does.
17
18 Pardon, just to be clear I meant "Cython is for extending python, not
19 embedding python".
20
21 Need coffee...
22 ~harring