From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Handling merge issues (on the case of prefix)
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 17:04:40
1 On 03/26/10 06:23, Sebastian Pipping wrote:
2 > Consequences
3 > ------------
4 > So Git relies on the existence of merge commits to detect what has been
5 > merged already. Creating all these merge commits is a tough job for a
6 > conversion tool (like svn2git) as it would have to distinguish between
7 > cases where just a few commist have been cherry-picked over and cases
8 > where all previous commits have made it over.
9 >
10 > So the portage Git history does not have merge commits at these points
11 > but plain single-parent commits.
12
13 I was wondering if this could be something that git-svn can do better
14 than svn2git: after all what does git-svn do in these 100 minutes taking
15 longer than svn2git?
16
17 So I ran a git-svn conversion again but it seems it does no better:
18
19 # git cherry -v prefix master | wc -l
20 7988
21
22 So that looks like about the same.
26 Sebastian