From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: 2.1 release candidate soon?
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2006 06:40:49
1 Brian Harring posted <20060415023512.GC12830@nightcrawler>, excerpted
2 below, on Fri, 14 Apr 2006 19:35:12 -0700:
3
4 > On Sat, Apr 15, 2006 at 11:01:56AM +0900, Jason Stubbs wrote:
5 >> On Saturday 15 April 2006 03:31, Brian Harring wrote:
6 >> > cache backend selection (failed import == defaults to sys default)
7 >>
8 >> This is incorrect. It displays an error message and quits.
9 > Still leaves the other features then (and raises the question that
10 > it's not internally totally standard)...
11 >
12 > Either way, standard for it is preferable (again, prefer failures
13 > myself, but I'm not a normal user)...
14
15 Wouldn't the "help them out" default be consistent with the
16 "non-interactive" goal for portage? Quit if there's no sane way to go
17 forward without potentially breaking a system, but otherwise, use sane
18 fallbacks where they are possible.
19
20 That would seem to me to be the rationale behind the current standard
21 behavior. Personally, I prefer a bit more interactivity in cases like
22 that as well, but I definitely see the argument for continuing if it's
23 possible to do in a sane manner.
24
25 (It should be obvious, but for completeness, "interactivity" in this case
26 refers to the global scale of quitting and waiting for the user to fix
27 something, not interactivity within the app.)
32 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
33 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
37 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list