From: Brian Dolbec <dolsen@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] xattr wrapper for install, bug #465000
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2014 04:58:05
1 On Thu, 30 Jan 2014 23:43:53 -0500
2 Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, January 26, 2014 17:53:44 Anthony G. Basile wrote:
5 > > 1) I'm not 100% sure how to do that.
6 >
7 > we'll have to (re-)introduce support for building C files. shouldn't
8 > be too hard to start a new directory to hold all the C code. and a
9 > simple Makefile to build them all. i think the tbz2tool.c was the
10 > only C program we had before and it was compiled via the ebuild
11 > (which we should avoid).
12 >
13 > > 2) We may want to install it at /usr/bin/install-xattr
14 > > because I'm sure it will be useful for more than just portage.
15 >
16 > if that's the case, then i don't think it belongs in portage. make
17 > it a sep package that portage will just depend on.
18 > -mike
19
20 Yes, I agree, make it a separate pkg. That way it is useful for other
21 pkgs and utilities. I am doing the same for several other small
22 utility libs to avoid copy/pasting the same code over and over again.
23
24 Besides, portage will have the python code as an emergency backup.
27 Brian Dolbec <dolsen>