From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] IUSE_DEFAULTS-v0.1
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:24:14
1 Soo apparently I wasn't subscribed...stupid address changes ;)
2
3 Patch ( which is actually v0.2 since 0.1 was a proof of concept.. ) for
4 having USE flag defaults in ebuilds. The variable IUSE_DEFAULTS was
5 chosen for backwards compatability, although I'm sure we will get
6 complaints about extra variables and tree bloat. If you have a better
7 variable name, by all means propose it ;)
8
9 the default USE_ORDER is:
10
11 useorder="env:pkg:conf:iuse_defaults:auto:defaults"
12
13 Placing the new defaults before conf:pkg:env but after auto:defaults
14 allows the user to easily over-ride these flags in their make.conf or in
15 package.use. The thought was also to try:
16
17 useorder="env:pkg:iuse_defaults:conf:auto:defaults"
18
19 But I thought it would be confusing to users as the IUSE defaults would
20 over-ride make.conf settings. This would be a regression from previous
21 behaviors, although still over-rideable in package.use
22
23 Please pay especially close attention to the ebuild.sh changes as I am
24 not familiar with that portion of code and I probably missed a few things.
25
26 This patch should apply cleanly to 2.1_pre4 and to trunk.
27 In order for this to work, you will need to set USE_ORDER="" in
28 make.conf, otherwise the USE_ORDER from make.globals is used, and that
29 USE_ORDER does not contain iuse_defaults.
30
31 -Alec Warner

IUSE-DEFAULTS-v0.1.patch text/plain