From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Stablizing portage 2.1
Date: Mon, 01 May 2006 21:39:04
1 Marius Mauch wrote:
2 > Alec Warner schrieb:
3 >> Why Branch at 2.1_pre9?
4 >> Manifest2 is already in the tree and needs refinement. Branching at
5 >> pre7 is also a canidate, but i would rather press for keeping manifest2
6 >> in the tree and fixing up it's code instead.
7 >
8 > Why not pre10?
11 Because pre10 seems to introduce repoman problems that haven't been
12 solved and I've like to break out the RC's soon.
13
14 Zmedico did a lot of things with usage of global variables, however I
15 think that getting all that tested ( especially in scripts that we don't
16 keep track of ) is detremental to getting portage stable. I agree that
17 it's an important step; however it's just code cleanup. It is not
18 necessary for 2.1.
19
20 I'm looking at the diff from pre9 and pre10, and I will backport any
21 bugfixes if that makes everyone happy.
22
23 >> TimeLine: If all goes well, we can do an rc sometime this week:
24 >> May 3rd : RC1
25 >> May 6th : RC2
26 >> May 9th : RC3
27 >> May 12th : RC4
28 >> May 15th : RC5
29 >> May 18th : RC6
30 >> May 21st : RC7
31 >> May 24th : RC8
32 >> May 27th : RC9 ( if needed )
33 >> May 30th : RC10 ( if needed )
34 >> June 5th : ~arch sys-apps/portage-2.1
35 >> July 6th : sys-apps/portage-2.1
36 >
37 > What's the point of planning a dozen rc versions ahead of time? Make a
38 > rc1, see how it goes and release another rc version only if necessary
39 > (for bugfixes). Also I absolutely *hate* date based roadmaps, just make
40 > it "stable 2.1 when no new rc has been made for n weeks".
41 >
42 >> Problems: We may miss the timeline and thats ok. Releng wants a
43 >> working portage, not a bugging POS portage-2.1 that wasn't ready for
44 >> release. This timeline is relatively tight and I think it's a nice goal
45 >> to set, it's not imperative that we reach it.
46 >>
47 >> Comments, Questions, opinions?
48 >
49 > Date based roadmaps suck. They add a lot of pressure for no benefit
50 > (other than a rough target date, and for that you don't need a roadmap).
51 >
52 > Marius
53
54 The intent here isn't to present a strict date roadmap. The intent is
55 to have portage-2.1 stable for the 2006.1 release. That means we need
56 to start soon, and we need to get going on the release canidates so that
57 we can meet the goal.
58
59 -Alec
60 --