From: Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] efficient source for changes in the portage tree
Date: Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:12:45
1 On Thu, 2006-20-04 at 21:30 +0200, Björn Ruberg wrote:
2 > Hello,
3 >
4 > I'm the developer of ViewPortageX, a nice superkaramba theme that basically
5 > parses packages.gentoo.org to display the changes in the displayed
6 > package-tree. So it helps you to supervise the changes in portage.
7 > This cuts down my syncs for example from once in two days to once in two weeks
8 > (normally).
9 > Link: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=32012
10 > ViewPortageX does some stuff more now, but that is its basic task.
11 >
12 > Well, I want to improve it now, let it supervise all changes in the tree and
13 > even let it evaluate your packages.keywords.
14 > So it would be able print out something that comes pretty close to an emerge
15 > -p world.
16 > Well, I would be able to fetch all the needed information from
17 > packages.gentoo.org, but I think there must be more efficient ways, as this
18 > would cost much traffic and it is a little CPU-consuming.
19 > So, perhaps you have an idea from were I can better fetch the updates in
20 > portage?
21 >
22 > Oh and I would like to make more use of the portage-API. Is there a
23 > documentation of it somewhere?
24 >
25 > Thanks,
26 >
27 > Björn Ruberg
30 Perhaps you may find portholes code easier to find out how to obtain
31 info from portage. The portagelib.py file is where all portage
32 interaction takes place. Since the devs know about what it uses already
33 it is probably the safest code taps from portage to use. You should be
34 able to get all the info you need from those examples.
35
36 Also you may want to keep track of pkgcore_lib.py. It is the next
37 generation portage code that will be coming our way. I have only just
38 started integrating it for porthole (my first commit of it last night).
39 Many things will change by the time the code is ready for general use,
40 but will give you an idea of how to plan ahead. The tree structure is
41 quite a bit different than current portage. I know I will need to re-do
42 a bunch of porthole's code to be optimized for the new structure. Also
43 it should be faster. So far, just building all the available packages
44 from the local tree as well as all installed packages is about 1 sec.
45 faster on my machine, probably better again when it's ironed out. If
46 there is something lacking in it's API, Brian Harring wants to know.
49 Brian <dol-sen@×××××.net>
52 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list