From: Lisa Seelye <lisa@g.o>
To: Gentoo Portage Dev Mail List <gentoo-portage-dev@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Thinking out loud
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2003 10:33:01
1 I'm just thinking out loud here, so bear with me.
2
3 I was thinking that when compiling packages it may be desirable to not
4 merge each package [outside of the sandbox] until some other steps have
5 been done.
6
7 Take, for instance, when OpenSSL is updated: A lot of things need to be
8 recompiled to account for the library change, and merging openssl before
9 those other packages have been updated may cause problems.
10
11 So I was thinking (out loud) that if there was a facility to rebuild all
12 of the things that depend on openssl after a new openssl has been
13 compiled, perhaps still in the same sandbox, then we may eliminate some
14 need for revdep-rebuild.
15
16 Perhaps this could be handled with something similar to FEATURES.
17 Perhaps a 'rebuild' flag that would traverse dependencies and rebuild
18 the packages with the new openssl libraries.
19
20 I think a problem might be distinguishing the old libraries from the
21 new. To get around this, I think building a small chroot (Maybe just
22 mounting other things, such as /bin, /usr/bin, /sbin, /dev or /sys as
23 read-only) to compile in may be needed.
24
25 Just thinking out loud, maybe this could be a mainstay of Portage-ng or
26 handled in some third party plug-in.
30 Regards,
31 -Lisa
32 <Vix ulla tam iniqua pax, quin bello vel aequissimo sit potior>