From: Brian Harring <ferringb@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] 2.1 release candidate soon?
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 18:32:00
1 On Fri, Apr 14, 2006 at 02:10:27PM -0400, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Brian Harring wrote:
3 > >>it. But it did not work because i had not emerged confcache. I think
4 > >>this check should be stricter, if i want confcache and have
5 > >>FEATURES="confcache" and confcache is not emerged, i think
6 > >>emerge ... should die, not just say "Ok, you said you want it but
7 > >>you don't have it, so i don't use it". What do you think about that?
8 > >
9 > >Precedent is against you in this case...sandbox is the same way
10 > >(notify instead of bailing).
11 > >
12 > >Personally I prefer the "if I told you to do something, bail if you
13 > >can't" approach, but for features portage has usually done the
14 > >opposite.
15 > >~harring
16 >
17 > Meh, past behavior is not really a great excuse here. If the majority
18 > thinks it sucks, then it can always be changed.
19
20 The "I'm going to help you out" approach is in use in (quick look
21 through)
22
23 cache backend selection (failed import == defaults to sys default)
24 PORT_LOGDIR
25 ccache
26 distcc
27 sandbox/usersandbox
28 PORTDIR_OVERLAY (disables non existant directories)
29 parallel-fetch (disables if distlocks isn't on)
30 gpg feature
31
32 Basically... all existing features that are optional disable
33 themselves if they don't work (exemption being
34 strict/stricter/servere, since not applicable to them).
35
36 What I'm saying is be consistant- I say the existing standard sucks,
37 but going willy/nilly per feature isn't good for users.
40 Sidenote, why is userfetch a feature? That seems like something that
41 should be userpriv by default to me...
42 ~harring