From: Joel Konkle-Parker <jjk3@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Extra USE field
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2004 19:52:25
1 Would it be plausible to include an extra field in ebuilds that
2 describes what effect a particular USE flag has on the package?
3
4 Take, for example, "xml" and "xml2" in the xfree ebuild. Ok, the
5 description says that it adds XML support. But why are there two of
6 them? Why is it optional? What benefit does it have? etc.
7
8 I can see something like:
9
10 # etcat -u gnucash
11 [ Colour Code : set unset ]
12 [ Legend : (U) Col 1 - Current USE flags ]
13 [ : (I) Col 2 - Installed With USE flags ]
14
15 U I [ Found these USE variables in : app-office/gnucash-1.8.9 ]
16 [snip]
17 - - postgres : Adds support for the postgresql database
18 Effect: Enables optional SQL backend for multiple simultaneous users;
19 not currently maintained and does not support all features
20 [snip]
21
22 The postgres description by itself tells me nothing about why gnucash
23 would need or want it, or what benefit it would have.
27 Joel Konkle-Parker
28 Webmaster [Ballsome.com]
29
30 E-mail [jjk3@×××××××.edu]