From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [2/4] proto-GLEPS for Tree-signing
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:37:42
1 On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 08:51:45PM +0100, Mike Auty wrote:
2 > In this Glep (xx+1), in the section discussing the procedure for
3 > creating a MetaManifest file, in step 3.3, does that include
4 > verification of the manifest's signature if it has one? It would seem
5 > odd to ignore the signature if it's wrong (I'm not sure about the case
6 > if a signature isn't present). I also don't know how this would then be
7 > handled (a complete abort, or ignoring the latest changeset to that
8 > ebuild?).
9 It doesn't care whatsoever about signatures inside Manifests.
10 That's because there's no difference between a Manifest that isn't
11 signed by a developer, and a Manifest that is developer-signed but any
12 master signature on the developer has been revoked.
13 It's also totally impossible to just block a changeset at the moment
14 like that, even if we had Git.
15
16 > If the signature check happened here, it could also allow for
17 > enforcable revocation of developer certificates (once they're revoked,
18 > any signed manifests will have the ebuild changes ignored). That may be
19 > a lot of work and may take too long, but if not (and depending on our
20 > users' trust needs), it might allow them just to check the
21 > MetaManifest's signature, and not that of the individual packages. Does
22 > that seems sensible?
23 They don't need to check the signatures of the individual packages
24 unless they are really paranoid anyway. You've missed one of the key
25 points of MetaManifest:
26 It defends ONLY the path from the Gentoo infrastructure to the users.
27
28 P.S, you don't need to CC me.
31 Robin Hugh Johnson
32 Gentoo Linux Developer & Infra Guy
33 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
34 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85