From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [RFC] gpkg format proposal v2
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 21:00:09
1 On Mon, Nov 12, 2018 at 3:24 PM Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > >>>>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
4 >
5 > >> Also, what would be wrong with ar? It's a standard POSIX tool, and
6 > >> should be available everywhere.
7 >
8 > > The original post says what's wrong with ar. Please be more specific
9 > > if you disagree with it.
10 >
11 > AFAICS, the arguments are that ar would be obscure, and that the LSB
12 > considers it deprecated. I don't find either of them convincing.
13 > Since when do we care about the LSB?
16 I assert that it doesn't matter which tool we pick, so we have arbitrarily
17 chosen tar because we like it.
18
19 If you have a basis for preferring ar over tar; I'd love to hear it. I only
20 brought it up because I know debian uses it.
21
22 -A
26 > Ulrich
27 >