From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] Re: [RFC] gpkg format proposal v2
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2018 17:34:02
1 >>>>> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, 2018-11-12 at 17:51 +0100, Fabian Groffen wrote:
4 >> I'm wondering here, how much sense does it make to compress 2., 3.
5 >> and/or 4. if you compress the whole gpkg? I have the impression
6 >> compression on compression isn't beneficial here. Shouldn't just
7 >> compressing of the gpkg tar be sufficient?
8
9 > Please read the spec again. It explicitly says it's not compressed.
10
11 Isn't that the wrong way around? The tar format contains a lot of
12 padding, so using uncompressed tar for the outer archive would be
13 somewhat wasteful. Why not leave the inner tar files uncompressed, but
14 compress the whole binpkg instead?
15
16 Also, what would be wrong with ar? It's a standard POSIX tool, and
17 should be available everywhere.
18
19 Ulrich