From: Amit Dor-Shifer <amitds@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] version management for eclasses
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 09:12:21
1 I've been through the list, and also read GLEP #33, in search for
2 recommended practices regarding eclasses.
3
4 the way I understand it, when an eclass is modified to accomodate a new
5 ebuild, old ebuilds are broken. Specifically, downgrading with those
6 broken ebuilds is no longer possible, as the eclass code they used to
7 execute is no longer available.
8
9 So, basically, downgrade is possible only while dependent eclasses
10 haven't changed. And AFAIK, portage doesn't test whether inherited
11 eclasses were modified since the ebuild was signed. This means that
12 there's also no traceability: old ebuilds cannot say "When I was in
13 business, my inherited eclass was THIS".
14
15 I'm wondering how do others address the downgrade issue.
16
17 Thanks,
18 Amit