From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-portage-dev] QA Notice: ECLASS 'foo' inherited illegally
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 11:11:47
1 I continue to see way more of these than I'm comfortable with.
2 "Illegally" implies the functionality will eventually go away, and stuff
3 will quit working. That what's making me uncomfortable.
4
5 Some time ago this came up on the dev list and I asked about bugging them
6 at that time. The reply was effectively "not yet". Are the notices now
7 to be considered bugs and filed as such, or is there perhaps something
8 portage doesn't like in my layout?
11 I'm running current ~amd64, portage-2.1-pre9-r4 at this moment. I make
12 heavy use of the "source" command in make.conf to modularize my settings.
13 Here's the filesystem settings (BTW, with 8 gig of memory, /tmp/ is a
14 tmpfs that seldom sees swap):
15
16 $cat /etc/portage/make.conf/fs
17 PORTDIR=/p
18 PORTDIR_OVERLAY=/l/p
19 PORT_LOGDIR=/log/portage
20
21 DISTDIR=${PORTDIR}/src
22 PKGDIR=/pkg
23
24 # scratch dirs
25 PKG_TMPDIR=/tmp
26 PORTAGE_TMPDIR=/tmp
27 PORTAGE_TMPFS="/dev/shm"
28
29 # portage tools paths
30 CCACHE_DIR="/str/ccache"
31 CCACHE_SIZE="2G"
32 #UNSERMAKE=/usr/kde/unsermake/unsermake
33
34 Also of interest:
35
36 $cat /etc/portage/make.conf/features
37 # normal
38 FEATURES="buildpkg candy confcache ccache -metadata-transfer multilib-strict parallel-fetch sandbox userfetch"
39 # minus multilib-strict
40 #FEATURES="buildpkg candy confcache ccache -metadata-transfer parallel-fetch sandbox userfetch"
41 # minus ccache confcache
42 #FEATURES="buildpkg candy -confcache -ccache -metadata-transfer multilib-strict parallel-fetch sandbox userfetch"
43 # s/sandbox/userpriv/
44 #FEATURES="buildpkg candy confcache ccache -metadata-transfer multilib-strict parallel-fetch userpriv userfetch"
45 # with metadata-transfer
46 #FEATURES="buildpkg candy confcache ccache multilib-strict parallel-fetch sandbox userfetch"
47
48 Here's the latest warning, the one prompting this post, from the esearch
49 ebuild, which one would /think/ would be fairly portage aware, given the
50 author's necessary knowledge of portage internals. ([...] of course
51 indicates snip... a dev in one case didn't catch that and thought it was
52 part of the output and was /really/ confused! =8^)
53
54 [...]
55 app-portage/esearch
56 selected: 0.7.1
57 protected: 0.7.1-r2
58 omitted: none
59
60 >>> 'Selected' packages are slated for removal.
61 >>> 'Protected' and 'omitted' packages will not be removed.
62
63 >>> Waiting 2 seconds before starting...
64 >>> (Control-C to abort)...
65 >>> Unmerging in: 2 1
66 >>> Unmerging app-portage/esearch-0.7.1...
67 No package files given... Grabbing a set.
68
69 QA Notice: ECLASS 'portability' inherited illegally in app-portage/esearch-0.7.1
70
71 --- !mtime obj /usr/share/man/man1/eupdatedb.1.gz
72 [...]
73 --- !empty dir /usr
74
75 QA Notice: ECLASS 'portability' inherited illegally in app-portage/esearch-0.7.1
76
77 >>> Regenerating /etc/ld.so.cache...
78 [...]
81 I've notices that these warnings occur almost entirely (if not entirely)
82 during the unmerge phase. Some stray comment I saw somewhere lead me to
83 believe they may be the result of FEATURES=buildpkg, or perhaps that
84 combined with the non-default filesystem layout (configuration above). If
85 that's the case, then it's either not a bug, or most likely a bug with
86 portage, not the various ebuilds.
87
88 So... if it's a bug, do I file it on portage or the ebuilds displaying the
89 warning? If it's not a bug, may at least I ask for a brief explanation of
90 what the warning means so I can stop worrying about it... and feeling
91 guilty for ignoring the warning and not filing the bugs! =8^)
92
93 Or... is it still "not yet a bug to file about"? In that case, the brief
94 explanation would still be very much appreciated. =8^)
99 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman in
100 http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2004/12/22/rms_interview.html
103 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list