From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] [2/4] proto-GLEPS for Tree-signing
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:34:39
1 On Tue, 29 Jul 2008 20:51:45 +0100
2 Mike Auty <ikelos@g.o> wrote:
3
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > Sorry,
8 > I lost my notes from when I last looked these over several
9 > months ago, and only just found them again. I haven't copied this to
10 > gleps@g.o, so let me know if I should do that. I just had a quick
11 > couple of things I was thinking about, and one of them I figured out
12 > during my re-read, so it's only really the following...
13 >
14 > In this Glep (xx+1), in the section discussing the procedure for
15 > creating a MetaManifest file, in step 3.3, does that include
16 > verification of the manifest's signature if it has one? It would seem
17 > odd to ignore the signature if it's wrong (I'm not sure about the case
18 > if a signature isn't present). I also don't know how this would then
19 > be handled (a complete abort, or ignoring the latest changeset to that
20 > ebuild?).
21
22 I don't think that verification at this stage would be a good idea. The
23 only sane way to respond to a failed check would be to either exclude
24 the whole package from the sync (keeping the state from the last run),
25 leading to various problems (what if it's a critical bugfix/security
26 bump, or breaks a the deptree of many packages?), or not record the
27 Manifest in the Metamanifest, which hasn't any benefits over reyling on
28 the client doing the verification.
29
30 Marius