From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Manifest signing
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 06:28:20
1 On Saturday 19 November 2005 15:01, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > After my post to -core about how to move ahead with signing, I thought
3 > the next best place to continue is in a discussion of how Portage
4 > handles manifests and their signatures.
5 >
6 > First, the blatantly obvious, for the benefit of same developers, even
7 > though it's not relevant to signing. It is still a weak-point and does
8 > need to be addressed. Multiple-hashes!
9
10 Yep, portages that don't break on multiple hashes being specified have been
11 around long enough for this to now be feasible.
12
13 <snip>
14
15 > So now the new Manifest structure looks roughly like this (abbreviated):
16 > -- PGP
17 > MD5 ...
18 > MD5 ...
19 > -- SIG
20 > -- SIG
21 > -- PGP
22 > MD5 ...
23 > -- SIG
24 > -- SIG
25 > etc.
26 >
27 > This has one important implication for backwards compatibility in
28 > checking of Manifests.
29 > In the case that a filename appears more than once in the file, only
30 > the last instance of it should be used, as that is the one that relates
31 > to the current version of the file. It's 4 lines of code in the current
32 > portage that need to be removed for this to work (see my -core post for
33 > where exactly).
34
35 Hence, if we fix it in the next version we still have to wait six months
36 to a year for most everybody to be using it so we don't break lots and
37 lots of systems...
38
39 Wouldn't it be easier to just disallow unsigned commits on the server side?
42 Jason Stubbs
43 --
44 gentoo-portage-dev@g.o mailing list