From: Douglas Anderson <dja@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Python style (Was: equery refactorization)
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2008 04:07:04
1 On Sun, Dec 7, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o> wrote:
40 Again, not starting a holy war here, I'm happy using tabs as that's
41 what people want, but you asked why most Python people prefer spaces,
42 and one of the reasons is that it's considered Pythonic to match the
43 indentation level of an opening parenthesis, for example:
44
45 http://rafb.net/p/SHb5sC97.html
46
47 With tabs you can't do that faithfully. And yes tabs do use less
48 space, but at the expense of readability. Stripping doc string out
49 would also use less space. As PEP 20 says, readability counts. As
50 Python is largely reliant on indentation for meaning in code, spaces
51 work well in python where they're not necessary in, say, bash. That's
52 just MHO.
53
54 -Doug