From: Gustavo Barbieri <barbieri@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-portage-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-portage-dev] Current portage well designed, but badly used
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 04:14:02
1 On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 23:53:19 +0900, Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tuesday 30 November 2004 23:22, Brian Harring wrote:
3 > > On Sun, 2004-11-28 at 09:08, Gustavo Barbieri wrote:
4 > > > On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 17:48:54 -0600, Michael Tindal <urilith@g.o>
5 > > > wrote:
6 > > > > Jstubbs is working on an api that will make its way into a later
7 > > > > revision of portage. As far as parsing
8 > > > > ebuilds, they are sourced directly from bash.
9 > > >
10 > > > There is any explanation/roadmap/design I can look at? Jstubbs reads
11 > > > this list? What's his goals, how he want to achieve it?
12 >
13 > I read your first message, thought to myself "does this deserve an answer?"
14 > and then ignored the entire thread, apart from Michael's and Brian's posts.
15
16 Sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or cause a tornado in this list, it
17 was a mix of thousands of ideas and doubts with non-native language
18 that makes me choose the bad mail subject.
21 > > He'd have to state his goals-
22 >
23 > Strict clear dependency resolution. It's already slower in CVS and, at least
24 > theoretically, can only become slower. On the other hand, it should save
25 > hours and hours in compile failures.
26
27 This is good :)
28
29 Also, I read things from http://dev.gentoo.org/~jstubbs/portage/ and
30 your ideas are really great.
31
32 Things that I can help now:
33 Create and convert to using a CPV class: I have a Package and
34 PackageVersion classes working, PackageVersion knows how to compare to
35 each other and how to get more info, everything delayed until they're
36 used. The Package class have a list of PackageVersion, this list is
37 just loaded from portage when accessed.
38 http://ltc08.ic.unicamp.br/~gustavo/packagemanagementsystem.py,
39 if you have some time, look at the classes, don't mind at the other
40 parts, since are just quick hack to access the portage.
41 Use of iterators/generators are of a great help, saves memory and
42 even time... Python 2.4 have an equivalent, but that doesn't build
43 lists, it's called "generator expressions", probably you already know.
44 In my code there are some generators.
45
46 >From goals.txt I'm not sure about the modularisation section, but I
47 can help with process management. A friend and I are playing with
48 depedency solving to help improve boot speed (there is a bugreport in
49 bugs.gentoo.org) our goal is to have a working C code to solve the
50 boot process dependencies, but we can try to make it general enough
51 and then write a python wrapper over it. Right now we have a working
52 prototype in python:
53 http://ltc08.ic.unicamp.br/~gustavo/pboot/parallel_6.py
54
55 Thank you for your time,