From: Dean Takemori <deant@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Cc: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Re: gentoo-ppc-dev Digest 30 Dec 2003 08:03:51 -0000 Issue 99
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2004 00:04:45
> From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o> > > On Sat, 2003-12-27 at 18:18, Dean Takemori wrote: >> Hello, >> >> I would like to install Gentoo 1.4 onto an Old World machine (8600 >> w/G3 >> upgrade). The machine is fully functional (in both OS9 and Yellowdog >> linux).
<bunchofstuffsnippedout>
> In the interim you can download the module you need from my webspace at > htpp://dev.gentoo.org/~trance/oldworld/ you'll need to force load it > due > to kernel version mismatch, but it does indeed work.
<more snippage> Hmmm ... I tried the kernel from your webpage, and it does indeed see the hard drive(and cddrive) on the SCSI bus according to the dmesg log, but the live boot fails because the cloop driver has unresolved symbols (kfree, do_generic_file_read, highmem_start_page, blk_dev, blk_init_queue, fsync_dev, kmap_high, printk, irq_stat, bksize_size,__cli plus others that scroll off screen) Going with the default Gentoo-1.4 kernel (2.4.21-ppc-r2) and trying to insmod your mesh.o causes the system to lock up hard. Am I loading the wrong module? Wrong order? Alternately, where are the cloop sources and where might I find a decent howto for making .isos? -dean takemori