From: Olivier Reisch <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] sandbox
Date: Thu, 09 May 2002 09:41:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 On Thursday 09 May 2002 16:26, David Chamberlain wrote:
5 > Hi Olivier
6 >
7 > You can put "sandbox" in the FEATURES line of your make.conf.
8 >
9 > Portage normally installs ebuilds in 4 stages:
10 >
11 > unpack - unpack the source into
12 > /var/tmp/portage/packagenameandversion/work/ compile - configure and
13 > compile the source, still in that directory install - go through the
14 > install stage, but install entirely into
15 > /var/tmp/portage/packagenameandversion/image/
16 > merge - if all this works, transfer the files from image/ into user's
17 > filesystem, but don't overwrite protected config files.
18 >
19 > If you use the command "ebuild" you can step through this process stage
20 > by stage.
21 >
22 > It's a big part of the gentoo philosophy that your filesystem should not
23 > be touched until the last (merge) stage, but a lot of programs will
24 > attempt to install outside of image/, even when the ebuild specifies
25 > DESTDIR or uses other tricks. I was having this problem with pbbuttons,
26 > since the Makefile has an extra script at the end to install the config
27 > file, and it was determined to leave the confines of image/.
28 >
29 > If you have sandbox turned on, emerge/ebuild will catch such violations
30 > and stop the install; and usually alert you pretty clearly to what went
31 > wrong. If you don't have it turned on, the install will probably
32 > continue fine, but other things might go wrong. Amongst other things,
33 > config files installed into /etc like this will overwrite older ones -
34 > not a good thing.
35 >
36 > It looks like it's turned off by default in the ppc profile, so I was
37 > wondering if this was done for a reason - i.e. it's broken on ppc - or
38 > if I'm the only one that's having a problem with it. If you want to try
39 > it out, I don't think it will break anything permanently - if it freezes
40 > portage, as it did for me, you just have to turn it off again. If it is
41 > broken, that's a problem for ppc development - I'm OK because I can
42 > double-check ebuilds on my PC, but we don't want to require that of
43 > everyone writing ebuilds on a ppc.
44 >
45 > Regards,
46 >
47 > David
50 > gentooppc-dev mailing list
51 > gentooppc-dev@g.o
54 Hello,
55
56 Well, I'll just turn it on and see what happens... :P
57
58 Greets,
59 Doc.
60
61 - --
63 Olivier Reisch doctomoe@××××××.org
64 TuxPPC Site Director
65 http://www.tuxppc.org
66 The number one user resource for Linux on PPC.
67
68 For safe mail, get my PGP Key:
69 http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.reisch/oreisch_public_key.gpg