From: Maik Schreiber <blizzy@g.o>
To: gentoo-announce@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] [gentoo-announce] Gentoo usage statistics
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2002 14:23:10
1 Fellow Gentoo users,
2
3 In an attempt to help Gentoo developers find out more about their user
4 base, I've set up a statistics web site at http://gentoo.iq-computing.de
5
6 Please note that we desperately need more volunteering machines
7 participating in this survey. Of course, participation is entirely
8 optional and free.
9
10 To participate, you need to install a little client software that
11 regularly transmits information about your machine to our servers.
12 Installing this client is really easy:
13
14 emerge gentoo-stats
15
16 After installation, you will need to obtain a system ID for your machine.
17 To do so, simply run "gentoo-stats --new" (without quotes). As soon as
18 you've done with that, you should set up a cronjob that runs the client in
19 regular intervals. ("gentoo-stats --new" will print out information to
20 help you with that.)
23 As is described at http://gentoo.iq-computing.de, we really _do_ respect
24 your privacy. Any information that gets transmitted is totally anonymous
25 and cannot be backtracked to you.
26
27 Thanks for helping us making Gentoo better.
28
29 Yours,
30
31 Maik Schreiber, Gentoo developer