From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Richard Jones <gentoo-ppc-dev@×××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo PPC <gentooppc-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] Xserve boot
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:38:35
Well that's one of the fun things we've been working on is what is
the how to make a boot disk. Currently the xserve isn't
supported by any PPC kernel at all, so you could make a disk
but it wouldn't be bootable on your box.

You do the mostly the same things for x86, except that you need
to put a PPC kernel, and bootloader on the CD. There's a ton of
scripts that need to be run do the right things, and mostly a lot of
cleanup because the scripts don't work the same on PPC. =(

When we've got a finalized howto, expect to see it up, cause I'm
sure our primary dev working on that part for PPC would love
to never touch it again =)

At this point the only way you'll get Linux on that box is to wait
until someone gets their hands on it that is part of the PPC/kernel
team.

Kevyn