From: Kevyn Shortell <trance@g.o>
To: Richard Jones <gentoo-ppc-dev@×××××.com>
Cc: Gentoo PPC <gentooppc-dev@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] Xserve boot
Date: Thu, 18 Jul 2002 15:38:35
1 Well that's one of the fun things we've been working on is what is
2 the how to make a boot disk. Currently the xserve isn't
3 supported by any PPC kernel at all, so you could make a disk
4 but it wouldn't be bootable on your box.
5
6 You do the mostly the same things for x86, except that you need
7 to put a PPC kernel, and bootloader on the CD. There's a ton of
8 scripts that need to be run do the right things, and mostly a lot of
9 cleanup because the scripts don't work the same on PPC. =(
10
11 When we've got a finalized howto, expect to see it up, cause I'm
12 sure our primary dev working on that part for PPC would love
13 to never touch it again =)
14
15 At this point the only way you'll get Linux on that box is to wait
16 until someone gets their hands on it that is part of the PPC/kernel
17 team.
18
19 Kevyn
20 ----- Original Message -----
21 From: "Richard Jones" <gentoo-ppc-dev@×××××.com>
22 To: "Kevyn Shortell" <trance@g.o>
23 Cc: "Gentoo PPC" <gentooppc-dev@g.o>
24 Sent: Thursday, July 18, 2002 3:46 AM
25 Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] Xserve boot