From: Olivier Reisch <gentoo@××××××××.net>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Cc: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] CUPS not working anymore...
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 04:21:51

When I initially installed Gentoo, I also set up my printer using the CUPS
driver and it worked perfectly. Now yesterday (since then I made a lot of
package updates of course) I wanted to use my printer and had to see it was
no longer recognized by cups. lpinfo -v didn't even see my /dev/usb/lp0
although it was there and had read/write permissions, etc.

I then removed all of cups and reinstalled, same problem. I was then finally
able to pin that error down to the fact that I had my /etc/hosts file not set
up like expected by cups and/or PAM. After changing it back to 127.0.0.1
localhost, I was finally able to readd my printer to the list, set it up,
etc. However only using the KDE Print Center. Using the web interface, I got
a Request Entity Too Large error message by the cups web server.

Ok, so now I got the printer set up and recognized again, yet it still doesn't
print. If I try to print a test page from the KDE Print Center, I get a
"server-error-service-unavailable" error message, if I try to print a test
page from the web interface, I get a "client-error-gone" error message.

This starts ticking me off, as I can't find any valid reason why it does that.
I guess it has somehow been broken either by the latest cups ebuild (r4, i
know it worked under r3) or by the recent PAM updates.

I'll be thankful for any ideas or suggestions.

- --
Olivier Reisch                                  doctomoe@××××××.org
TuxPPC Site Director
http://www.tuxppc.org
The number one user resource for Linux on PPC.

For safe mail, get my PGP Key:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/olivier.reisch/oreisch_public_key.gpg