From: Nathaniel McCallum <npmccallum@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-sparc@l.g.o, gentoo-alpha@l.g.o, gentoo-mips@l.g.o, gentoo-amd64@l.g.o, gentoo-hppa@l.g.o, gentoo-ia64@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Gentoo Installer partitioning arch support
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 01:14:24
On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 02:58 +0200, Luca Barbato wrote:
> Nathaniel McCallum wrote: > > Sorry to cross post like this, but this is the best way to reach > > everyone. We at the GentooInstaller project are beginning work on our > > partitioning section, one of the arch dependant aspects of the > > installation. I need to know if sfdisk will work as a scriptable > > replacement for fdisk on all the various arches. If you aren't sure, > > could you test it, and get back to me? Thanks! > > > > Nathaniel McCallum > you can't use sfdisk on ppc,could we use parted for everybody? It > has/should have support for every diskslice/partition format we use and > should allow us to repartition dinamically on x86. > > Comments?
The plan was to originally use parted (which I still prefer). I made an ebuild for redhat's parted python bindings (in bugzilla), but it isn't in portage yet (needs a patch and version bump on parted). HOWEVER, I don't believe parted supports all arches. Specifically, I believe parted has "minors" hard coded as type int, which doesn't work on one arch (I believe alpha) as it uses letter based minors. I could be wrong though... But to your knowledge parted DOES work on ppc? Anyone else? Does parted work on your arch? Thanks! Nathaniel