From: Kain <kain@××××.org>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] new .ISO / build
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 16:46:59
1 On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 10:41:19AM -0500, Fuper wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2002-04-23 at 01:14, Kain wrote:
3 > > Sorry for the delays; I have a new ISO/Buildimage up on
4 > > gentooppc.sunsite.dk.. Would all you kind people test it out?
5 >
6 > What is the format of initrd.img? Is that a raw image? BootX docs
7 > claim that the ramdisk image for BootX MUST be named
8 > "ramdisk.image.gz".
9 initrd.img is a gzipped ext2fs image.
10 > I suspect that BootX will always attempt to ungzip
11 > the image. (I tried booting via BootX and selected the initrd.img as
12 > the ramdisk image but the kernel aborts with a kernel panic because no
13 > init is found).
14 One thing people seem to have had issues with is making BootX work with larger
15 kernels/images, which could end up as more of a problem for gentoo. (i.e. My
16 all-pmacs kernel is >~5MB and the ramdisk is 4-5MB compressed (22MB
17 uncompressed.)
18
19 Also, look just before the init panic and you should see some kernel messages
20 detailing what/how the ramdisk was detected.
21
22 If you are capable of making BootX work with what's on the current CD or have
23 suggestions for it, please let me know.
24 > Since I'm an Apple sales rep I may use some slack hours testing the
25 > installer on new Macs too.
26
27 It's worked on my TiBook; I would be interested in seeing if it works on the
28 new(er) NVidia-based powermacs & the LCD iMac.
29 --
30 Hackers do it bottom-up.
31 **
32 Mad Computer Scientist