From: Mark Guertin <gerk@g.o>
To: gentooppc-users@g.o
Cc: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-dev] Bug reporting procedures
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 12:21:55
1 Hello everyone... just wanted to drop a note here about the procedures to
2 follow when finding a bug in Gentoo PPC...following this procedure will
3 greatly help us to remedy things quicker and not have to ask silly questions
4 after the fact (hopefully)
5
6 1) make sure you are running current portage (emerge rsync and try again first
7 of all).. things move fast in Gentoo and the PPC tree especially right now
8
9 2) rm -rf /var/cache/edb/deps/* and try again (sometimes old deps get left
10 there and cause problems)
11
12 3) if the problem still exists please file a bug report on bugs.gentoo.org
13 (after searching if the bug already exists that is), following the bug
14 reporting guidelines laid out on that site (similar to what I've just posted
15 here).
16
17 4) Be Verbose!! Bugs like "this pkg is broken when I try to install it" is
18 just not helpful. Any information that may be relevant about your setup, your
19 USE settings, your machine configuration and kernel version, etc are
20 extremely helpful
21
22 5) if making an attachment on bugs, please read how to do it (have gotten
23 several attachments lately that were difficult to extract)
24
25 6) you can check in on IRC at irc.openprojects.net in #gentoo-ppc ... most
26 times someone is around that might know what's going on icon_smile.gif
27
28 Thanks everyone for helping to make Gentoo PPC the best distro possible and
29 happy Gentoo'ing all
30
31 Gerk