From: Fuper <futurist@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentooppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-dev] new PPC iso
Date: Mon, 06 May 2002 20:23:53
1 On Sun, 2002-05-05 at 23:03, Kain wrote:
2 > I have completed building & uploading new ppc-sources and a new build+iso for Gentoo-PPC.
3
4 This may not come as a surprise to anyone but the iso of April 22
5 installed and ran fine on a Powermac 7600 with Powerforce G3 upgrade
6 card and PCI video card replacing the onboard graphics (ATI 3D Rage
7 Pro). Thank you Kain and others!
8
9 I copied the ramdisk image and the kernel to 'System Folder/Linux
10 Kernels' on the HFS partition, with MacOS 8.6, and used BootX to bring
11 up the Gentoo kernel and installer.
12
13 That G3 upgrade card is the 366 MHz with 1M cache. I used the Powerlogix
14 extension to enable the processor cache at 200 MHz (with cpu at 300
15 MHz).
16
17 The remaining problem is that the X server does not bring up the video,
18 even though I've set the BusID option in the XF86Config file:
19 BusID "PCI:0:13:0"
20 reflecting the location of the graphic card as found in /proc.
21 Any ideas on getting the PCI graphics card to work? (It's necessary
22 because onboard video has bad vram). After "startx" the server doesn't
23 report any errors but there is no video output (the monitor goes into
24 idle from not being driven). I think its accessing the onboard graphics
25 controller instead of the PCI controller. What can I do? Must I switch
26 to the frame buffer driver?