From: Marc Ozon <marc_ozon@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] ppp with atm support
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2004 14:02:02
1 Hi,
2
3 I've been using a Speedtouch USB ADSL modem with my iBook running Gentoo,
4 and in the process of getting it to work, I found that anyone needing to use
5 PPPoA will run into a problem: the ebuild for ppp that includes ATM support
6 ( >= 2.4.2) explicitly prevents it from building on anything but x86, apart
7 from any masking in $KEYWORDS or flags in $USE. Here are the relevant bits
8 from ppp-2.4.2-r2.ebuild:
9
10 if use atm && use x86; then
11 einfo "Enabling PPPoATM support"
12 epatch ${FILESDIR}/${PV}/pppoatm-2.diff.gz
13 sed -i -e "s/^LIBS =/LIBS = -latm/" pppd/Makefile.linux || die
14 fi
15
16 And:
17
18 if use atm && use x86; then
19 dolib.so pppd/plugins/pppoatm.so
20 fi
21
22 In other words, anyone building ppp on anything but x86 won't get ATM
23 support, even if they put 'atm' among their USE flags.
24
25 I've added notes about this to one of the 'ppp and ATM' bugs (#47574), but
26 thought some non-x86 developers should know about it, too.
27
28 In the interest of full disclosure: ultimately, though I got the PPPoA
29 stuff compiled and apparently working, I found that pppd would time out when
30 it tried to authenticate with my ISP -- and realized that my ISP only
31 provides PPPoE, something I confirmed with one of their support folks. I
32 had jumped to conclusions from the fact that all the threads I'd found in
33 the forums about this modem were about using it with PPPoA (turns out there
34 is a thread for using it with PPPoE, but it was a single post, 8 months old,
35 so it was likely buried in the results when I first looked). Still, the
36 fact that it compiled and ran at least seems reason enough not to deny it to
37 non-x86 folks, particularly in a masked ebuild.
38
39 Cheers,
40 Marc
44 Marc Ozon Toronto, Ontario, Canada