From: Tom Gall <tom_gall@×××.com>
To: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Native 64-bit on G5: A status report
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2004 17:50:52
1 Stefan Bruda wrote:
2
3 >Hi.
4 >
5 >Turing (http://turing.ubishops.ca/) is a dual G5 (the 2GHz variety),
6 >and it runs a 64-bit Gentoo installation (used to be Yellow Dog Linux,
7 >really on-line in its Gentoo incarnation since yesterday). To be more
8 >precise this is a development machine plus a HTTP/mail/IMAP server on
9 >the side, and as far as I can tell everything in this respect runs
10 >mostly smoothly (exceptions shall be summarized shortly).
14 Greetings,
15
16 xorg is now marked stable on ppc64. The bits for running native X with
17 either an ATI card or NV card now works.
18
19 >What does not run (at all) is X, the server
20 >(x11-base/xorg-x11-6.7.0-r1) segfaults upon loading the bitmap module
21 >or something (I am not at the console right now so I cannot run it,
22 >but in any case it dies very early in the startup process) so not even
23 >Xeasyconf has any chance to complete whatsoever. This is by no means a
24 >huge problem but I will eventually like to make use of the nice Apple
25 >Studio display (and get rid of the second machine in my office which I
26 >use as a remote GUI), so advice is appreciated.
27 >
28 >In any case, here is a summary of the installation process. The
29 >installed stuff (and all the dependencies) works as far as I can tell,
30 >except as noted in the list below.
31 >
32 >At this time my ACCEPT_KEYWORDS has the value "~ppc64 ppc" but I set
33 >the variable individually for packages during the initial install to
34 >see what is keyworded how. If no entry appears in the "additional
35 >keywords" in the table below, it means that the respective package
36 >(and its dependencies, except those installed before) are keyworded as
37 >~ppc64.
41 You'll want to remove ppc from your keywords. At the moment one can not
42 mix and match the two. That can cause no end of trouble!
43
44 >The uname/arch trick refers to the replacement of uname and arch by
45 >the following, respectively:
46 >
47 > /bin/uname $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/
48 > /bin/arch $1 $2 $3 $4 $5 $6 | sed -e s/ppc64/ppc/
49 >
50 >In one instance, CHOST had to be changed as well. The formulation "USE
51 >+=" stands for adding whatever follows to the USE flags.
52 >
53 >Anyhow, FYI here is the table of what has been installed and
54 >how. Advice on the enumerated problems is really appreciated,
55 >expecially the problems with X and uname -a segfaulting.
56 >
57 >--------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
58 >emerged additional notes
59 > keywords
60 >--------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
61 >sync
62 >bootstrap-2.6 no NTPL, which posed problems afterwards
63 >system problems with current coreutils,
64 > '=coreutils-5.2.0-r2' works
65 > except that uname -a segfaults
66 >xorg-x11 builds fine but segfaults upon startup
67 >apache
68 >sendmail ppc
69 >uw-imap ppc
70 >kernel Character devices: rtc, agp miss headers
71 >(2.6.7-rc0) Sound: Powermac devices choke
72 >gentoolkit
73 >vim Segfaults on exit
74 >sysklogd
75 >vixie-cron
76 >pciutils
77 >reiserfsprogs
78 >zip ppc
79 >cvs
80 >qt
81 >boost
82 >ibm-jdk-bin ppc
83 >tmpwatch ppc
84 >logwatch ppc
85 >root-tail ppc
86 >openmotif ~ppc
87 >lesstif ppc
88 >xemacs ppc
89 >pth ppc CHOST="powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu"
90 >gnupg-1.9.8 ~x86 problems with official app-crypt/gnupg-1.2.4
91 > gnupg-1.9.8 installs
92 > BUT: patches for 1.2.4 also available (bug 54814)
93 >mozilla patched (ebuild + source, bug 54843),
94 > -O2 used, segfaults (epiphany however works);
95 > -O1 produces ICE
96 >epiphany ~ppc ppc chhokes
97 >glut ppc uname/arch trick
98 >gnome-cups-
99 >manager ~ppc ppc chokes
100 >gnome ppc graphviz (needed by doxygen) chokes
101 > ==> USE += -doc
102 >xmms ppc
103 >xscreensaver ppc
104 >lshw ppc
105 >latex2html ppc
106 >bind-tools uname/arch trick
107 >gkrellm ppc
108 >gkrellm-themes ~ppc
109 >gkrellm-
110 >trayicons ppc
111 >gkrellmlaunch ppc
112 >gkrellm-volume ppc
113 >logrotate
114 >curl
115 >emerge mod_php ppc USE += "-truetype -fdftk"
116 > with truetype required a lower, unbuildable freetype!!
117 >procmail
118 >spamassasin ppc
119 >netkit-fingerd ppc
120 >nmap ppc
121 >ipx-utils x86
122 >ncpfs *** ebuild fails, manual installation works OK!!
123 >pine ppc
124 >netkit-telnetd ppc
125 >--------------+----------+----------------------------------------------
129 I'm not sure what to gander from this list. Are you saying you emerged
130 some of these packages as ppc when you're on a ppc64 box running the 64
131 bit gentoo?
132
133 Anyway what you can do that can be quite quite helpful is if there are
134 packages that do not have ppc64 or ~ppc64 in their ebuild and when you
135 add them and they build and work, then open a bug in bugs.gentoo.org
136 state the package and make sure you mark it for the ppc64 architecture
137 and cc ppc64@g.o.
138
139 Thanks!
140
141 >Let me know if this report is of some use in other places, and I will
142 >submit it (I already submitted it to the fora).
143 >
144 >Cheers,
145 >Stefan
152 gentoo-ppc-dev@g.o mailing list