From: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
To: Stefan Bruda <bruda@×××××××××××.ca>
Cc: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>, gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] dvipdfm dependencies
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 15:38:08
1 On 10 Jun 2004, at 17:31, Stefan Bruda wrote:
2
3 >> If you emerge for instance gcc-3.4 and then do emerge -e world, it
4 >> will
5 >> rebuild all your apps against gcc-3.4. (If you put NPTL in your use
6 >> flags , you get an nptl enabled system (works only with kernel-2.6*)
7 >
8 > Agreed again. I am using kernel 2.6.6 so I am tempted to do it; on
9 > the other hand I am looking at days of building on a production
10 > machine so this is not quite a thing I would enjoy... So my
11 > questionis, is NTPL stable enough by now on the PPC, and is in your
12 > opinion worth it?
13
14 I'd say yes, but it's a matter of taste. I haven't done benchmarks, but
15 it feels a lot faster. Note that you'd have to use at least
16 gcc-3.3.3_pre (amd64 hammer branch) ebuilds or gcc-3.4.0.
17
18 Pieter
21 > Thanks,
22 > Stefan
23 >
24 > --
25 > If it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as
26 > it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.
27 > --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass
31 gentoo-ppc-dev@g.o mailing list