From: Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o>
To: ppc@g.o
Cc: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, gentoo-releng@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Gentoo/PPC meeting summary
Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 21:27:10
1 Hi,
2
3 the Gentoo/PPC team had a meeting from 19UTC until 20:30UTC.
4
5 topics:
6
7 1) toolchain switch for 2006.1
8 2) other upgrades for 2006.1
9 3) open discussion
12 We decided to make a toolchain-switch for 2006.1 and upgrade
13 to gcc-4.1.1 along with glibc-2.4. Quite all ppc devs made
14 tests with that toolchain during the last months and
15 reported only some slight issues with strict-aliasing. It's
16 possible to compile (quite) everything without any further
17 stable-version bumps in the tree.
18
19 Every application with strict-aliasing-issues should be
20 fixed in the ebuild by adding -fno-strict-aliasing to the
21 CFLAGS. As every arch beside x86 is affected, this does not
22 need an 'if ppc'. And even on x86 there are no problems
23 with adding this option. If there are newer versions of
24 applications in the tree which are fixed by upstream
25 already, they should be preferred and marked stable. Any
26 other application should be reported upstream beside the fix
27 in the ebuild.
28
29 We will create a new 2006.1 profile with the new toolchain
30 as default. The 2006.0 profile will mask >=gcc-4 and
31 >=glibc-2.4. So we can stable gcc-4.1.1 and glibc-2.4
32 stable on ppc now and let users test when they want. The
33 2006.1-profile will be considered as testing until release.
34
35 Furthermore we want to extend the gcc-upgrade-guide, as we
36 can't use gcc-4 with glibc-2.3. Therefore the user need to
37 follow a special upgrade-path.
40 Another upgrade for 2006.1 might be Xorg-7.1. ppc does not
41 rely on any binary-driver which is affected by the
42 ABI-change. This version of X has been tested by several
43 developers and found to be stable. But we need to check
44 Donnie's opinion about that move.
45
46 A pro-argument would be, that users have to do one big
47 change with 2006.1 (toolchain, X) and can rest for a long
48 time. A good upgrade-path for Xorg-7.1 is needed for the
49 users who won't to install their system newly.
52 kernel-2.6.17 is another candidate for stable with the
53 2006.1-release. This gives a lot support for the last
54 ppc-series of Apples Laptop series and even native WLan with
55 all AirportExtreme cards, a long-term wish by many ppc
56 users.
57
58 There are some problems with genkernel and mostly the
59 Pegasos (broken Makefiles due to the ppc32/ppc64->powerpc
60 move in the kernel), but the result would just be no
61 initramfs on the install-media (and so no
62 framebuffer-splashtheme).
65 Like with 2006.0 we will deliver a minimal and a universal
66 InstallCD, stages and a GRP-set for ppc-generic and G4.
67 agaffney is working on a graphical installer CD for
68 experimental and probably the embedded-team will provide a
69 netboot-image.
72 Our current ppc-stable-tree is in a good shape. Only
73 OpenOffice needs a bump. For other open bugs a bugday like
74 in the old days, when several team members worked
75 collaboratively on the open bugs, should be hold in the near
76 future.
79 In the end of the meeting we talked about upcoming events in
80 Central Europe this year where we could meet again.
81 Suggestions are the Wizard of OS 4 in September in Berlin,
82 LWE Europe in November in Cologne, or the 23rd Chaos
83 Communication Congress in December in Berlin.
86 Regards, Lars
87 --
88 Lars Weiler <pylon@g.o> +49-171-1963258
89 Gentoo Linux PowerPC : Strategical Lead and Release Engineer
90 Gentoo Infrastructure : CVS Administrator
91 Gentoo Foundation : Trustee