From: Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Is PPC support being dropped for Gentoo?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 01:55:12
1 Jeff Rush wrote:
2 > Joseph Jezak wrote:
3 >
4 >> Jeff Rush wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> I've just --synced on my PPC box (Kurobox HG) and now there is no PPC
7 >>> profile directory:
8 >>>
9 >>> /usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/ppc/
10 >>>
11 >>> but the profiles for the other various CPU types are present. Did PPC
12 >>> get dropped or become something optional that I need to enable somehow?
13 >>>
14 >>> I've googled and searched the PPC FAQ and forums but no mention of the
15 >>> removal of that directory tree.
16 >>>
17 >>> Sorry if this is a well-known issue.
18 >>>
19 >>> -Jef
20 >>>
21 >> It's not an issue and support isn't being dropped. Those profiles were
22 >> old and deprecated. Use the tool "eselect profile --list" to display the
23 >> profiles that are compatible with your machine. As far as I know, the
24 >> current "latest" profile is default/linux/powerpc/ppc32/2008.0 for ppc32.
27 > Thanks Joe for this clarification. It sets my mind at ease and now I'll
28 > see if this standard profile supports the Kurobox HG or needs the hacks
29 > I used on this website before:
30 >
31 > http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/User:RussK/Create_2007_kurobox_Gentoo
32 >
33 > -Jeff
36 No worries!
37
38 If you have specific changes to the documentation that we could make to
39 help make a Kurobox (or other hardware) installation easier or more
40 clear, please let me know!
41
42 -Joe