From: Marc Ozon <gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Automated keyword generation
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2003 04:14:08
1 The auto-reporting of successful builds isn't a bad idea, but here's one
2 problem, which I think might be a big one: just because something can
3 be built successfully doesn't mean it actually works as it should. For
4 example, in the last couple of days, I've successfully built fresh
5 copies of mozilla and fvwm, but neither have worked properly at all
6 (long story, but both problems appear to be the result of a problem with
7 gtk2 on ppc, which I normally have in my USE flags).
8
9 So, if "~ppc" means "compiles, but we don't know if the binary works",
10 then your suggestion makes sense. On the other hand, if "~ppc" means
11 "seems to work for me, let's have others try it before it goes 'ppc'",
12 then anything that reports build results wouldn't be a good idea, since
13 buildable != usable. I know that "ppc" means "stable, should work", but
14 I don't know the exact criteria for something to achieve "~ppc". (How
15 does this work for other architectures? Does "~arch" depend only on
16 whether it works for an ebuild maintainer?)
17
18 Two other thoughts:
19
20 -- People's $CFLAGS can vary considerably; something that builds with
21 one set of $CFLAGS wouldn't necessarily build with another set. Good
22 examples of this are OpenOffice (pretty fussy about aggressive compiler
23 flags) and gtk+ on ppc (currently fails for me with gcc-3.2.3-r3 and
24 -mpowerpc-gfxopt, as does mozilla; others have reported similar problems
25 with firebird in Gentoo bugzilla). Chances are, this sort of thing
26 would have to be taken into account for "~ppc" or "ppc" designation.
27
28 -- Such automated reporting would *definitely* have to be optional; some
29 people just don't want anyone else to know what their computer is
30 running, a sentiment that would have to be respected.
31
32 As for how '~ppc' and 'ppc' get added to ebuilds currently, as far as I
33 know, posting successes to this list is the currently recommended way;
34 see http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=11654 for details. Maybe
35 having a forum thread on which ppc successes could be posted would also
36 be a good idea -- somewhere ppc developers could lurk, and somewhere
37 people would, I think, more readily post than to this mailing list
38 (subscribing is a barrier to entry, though that might be desirable).
39 The thread could be cleaned out periodically, just like the thread where
40 duplicate threads can be reported. Whether that's a better idea than
41 using this list might depend on the developers' preferences.
42
43 In spite of what I've said here, it's good to see the suggestion! Given
44 that "ppc" in keywords often does lag behind x86, we ought to be
45 thinking harder about how this might be addressed.
46
47 Cheers,
48 Marc
51 Marc Ozon Toronto, Ontario, Canada
55 --- Wes Morgan <wesm@×××××××××.org> [2003-12-02, 17:04]:
56 >I'm kind of a Gentoo n00b, though not a Linux n00b, so pardon any stupidity
57 >contained herein... ;-)
58 >
59 >Has anyone ever considered/implemented an automated build success report
60 >system? So that if I, for instance, successfully merged an ebuild w/ no ppc
61 >or ~ppc keyword, this utility could phone home and record my success. Then
62 >maybe that could automatically mark that package with a ~ppc keyword, then if
63 >enough success reports came in while it was marked ~ppc (and maybe it could
64 >be balanced against failure reports), it could automatically get marked ppc
65 >one day.
66 >
67 >The reason I ask this is that it seems that there are an awful lot of packages
68 >that don't have a ppc or ~ppc keyword, making Gentoo/PPC a lot less useful
69 >for the faint of heart (or the faint of butt) than Gentoo/x86. I was able to
70 >successfully merge koffice-1.3_rc1 on my TiBook 500, and I imagine there are
71 >plenty of other packages out there that would build successfully too, and
72 >probably have been built successfully, but not reported. I reported my
73 >success to this list, but received (as of yet) no response. It's only been a
74 >couple days, so that's not a complaint from me; I'm just trying to point out
75 >that an automated system would have already put a ~ppc keyword on this
76 >ebuild. :)
77 >
78 >Regardless of whether I have a good idea here or a terribly stupid one, I'd be
79 >really interested to learn more about the process of getting ppc and ~ppc
80 >keywords added to packages, and how I can best help increase the number of
81 >them.
82 >
83 >Thanks for a really cool distro,
84 >Wes Morgan