From: milter@××××.fr
To: gentoo-ppc-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-dev] Instructions for Installing Gentoo on an external firewire disk
Date: Sat, 09 Apr 2005 08:21:10
1 Hi Gentoo foolks,
2
3 Now that 2005.0 is out I think we should try to provide
4 some infos for installing Gentoo on external firewire disk
5 to Gentoo PPC users (the question pops up frequently in
6 the web forums)
7
8 I've been done it in the past (using 2004.0 or 2004.1
9 I can't remember).
10
11 I've been doing the work again on a second ibook this time
12 using 2005.0 (with use of udev but not bootsplash) and
13 with most stuff compiled (instead of use of modules).
14 I can do it again if this can help to serve as testing
15 and help getting the handbook updated.
16
17 Clearly I didn't use genkernel.
18 I've never used genkernel in the past. Do you recommend
19 using it ?
20
21 I've been installing 2005.0 on an ibook 900Mhz G3
22 using G3 dofirewire as parameters.
23 I did create some partitions on an external firewire
24 disk (Oxford 911 controler).
25
26 Information needed to be added to the handbook for
27 installation on external firewire disk is :
28
29 1/ special yaboot.conf parameters required
30 2/ .config entries needed
31 3/ creation of an initrd
34 1/ ofboot, boot, device must be defined properly.
35 An image= entry with initrd must be created .
38 Example :
39 mac-fdisk -l /dev/sda
40 /dev/sda
41 # type name length base ( size ) system
42 /dev/sda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1 ( 31.5k) Partition map
43 /dev/sda2 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 56 @ 64 ( 28.0k) Driver 4.3
44 /dev/sda3 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 56 @ 120 ( 28.0k) Driver 4.3
45 /dev/sda4 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 56 @ 176 ( 28.0k) Unknown
46 /dev/sda5 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 56 @ 232 ( 28.0k) Unknown
47 /dev/sda6 Apple_FWDriver Macintosh 512 @ 288 (256.0k) Unknown
48 /dev/sda7 Apple_Driver_IOKit Macintosh 512 @ 800 (256.0k) Unknown
49 /dev/sda8 Apple_Patches Patch Partition 512 @ 1312 (256.0k) Unknown
50 /dev/sda9 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap 1600 @ 1824 (800.0k) NewWorld bootblock
51 /dev/sda10 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 swap 1048576 @ 3424 (512.0M) Linux swap
52 /dev/sda11 Apple_UNIX_SVR2 root 83886080 @ 1052000 ( 40.0G) Linux native
53 /dev/sda12 Apple_Free Extra 313359008 @ 84938080 (149.4G) Free space
54
55 Block size=512, Number of Blocks=398297088
56 DeviceType=0x0, DeviceId=0x0
57 Drivers-
58 1: @ 64 for 23, type=0x1
59 2: @ 120 for 36, type=0xffff
60 3: @ 176 for 21, type=0x701
61 4: @ 232 for 34, type=0xf8ff
62
63 Run :
64 find /proc/device-tree -name disk@* | grep firewire
65 /proc/device-tree/pci@f4000000/firewire@e/node@0001d200e00d0207/sbp-2@c000/disk@0
66
67 If there is no output from the find command try to reboot and make another try
68 (some times it seem to occur).
69
70 In such a case the yaboot.conf must then must include :
71 ofboot=fw/node/sbp-2/disk@0:
72 # Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap partition
73 boot=/dev/sda9
74 # Real device name (can be obtained from OpenBoot)
75 device=fw/node@0001d200e00d0207/sbp-2@c000/disk@0:
76
77 2/ as mentioned I did not use modules in the past.
78 I'm thinking about mentionning :
79 CONFIG_BLK_DEV_INITRD=y
80 CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=y
81 CONFIG_USB_ARCH_HAS_OHCI=y
82 CONFIG_USB_OHCI_HCD=y
83 CONFIG_IEEE1394=y
84 CONFIG_IEEE1394_OHCI1394=y
85 CONFIG_IEEE1394_SBP2=y
88 3/ mkinitrd must be used to create a ramdisk.
89 I faced some issues : apparently mkinitrd now create
90 a gzipped cpio archive and not a gzipped ext2 content see :
91 https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-list/2005-January/msg01168.html
92 I used an old initrd (ext2.gz format) and it worked.
93 Each time I do it I forget to create a /initrd directory (and end up
94 with pivot_root fatal errors)
97 Right now using this procedure I can boot on my firewire disk
98 I still need to activate bootsplash ...
99
100 Do you recommend I retry this installation with genkernel and/or
101 activate other stuff ?
102
103 I can put .config and linuxrc somewhere.
104
105 I hope this information helps ....
106
107 Regards,
108
109 SL/
110
111 Stephane.Lentz@×××××.com aka ds9/ds9bsd
112 Linux number6 2.6.11-gentoo-r4 #4 Sat Apr 9 10:04:32 CEST 2005 ppc 750FX PowerBook4,3 GNU/Linux
113 --
114 gentoo-ppc-dev@g.o mailing list