List Archive: gentoo-ppc-dev
Note: Due to technical difficulties, the Archives are currently not up to date.
provides an alternative service for most mailing lists.c.f. bug 424647
Marek Werstak wrote:
>>>Gnomemeeting is working fine on ppc and I would not support the
>>>hype about skype.
> In my opinion we should support the hype, because the standard user
> wants this stuff ... I sat a whole long day at the information stand
> of an Linux Info Meeting with my iBook dressed with a gentoo shirt,
> of course! and the questions were always the same ... Can you open
> MS-docs? Can you watch Flash? Do you skype? I would like to buy a
> Pegasos or Mac, but ... Why do you use Linux on a Mac and so
> on ........
My answers to random maybe next user:
- You can use openoffice or other office automation suite without major
- There are plugins that let you see flash even if there is better stuff
around (ever heard about svg?)
- You can use gnomemeeting.
- Pegasos or Mac is the same we do our best to support everything
produced by people supporting us.
- I use linux on mac because is faster, I don't like so much the Apple
UI and I like to have choice even on the UI.
My answers to you:
- Most flash uses looks dumb from my point of view. I don't like
proprietary solution if there is something better around that just
deserve more attention. If somebody ask me about flash, I'd tell him how
svg is good most time.
- Skype is just hype, if you know that there is asterix and that you
could have the same results with nicer tools (see gnomemeeting) just
using something different from h323 and the baseline gsm codec, you'd
move away from skype and start using that.
- Microsoft formats again are dumb and I started to write my documents
on xml after having bad experience with tex. For people that do like
complex implementation there is openoffice, abiword and so on.
There is plenty of better solution, why you use an "alternative
platform" and just ask to have the overhyped, overcommecialized, low
Gentoo Linux http://www.gentoo.org/~lu_zero
firstname.lastname@example.org mailing list