From: lincr <lrutledge@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] prism2 usb wireless, and install without cdrom
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 14:24:13
1 Hi folks,
2 I am new to Gentoo, and I am having a lot of trouble with Linux on PPC
3 in general.
4
5 What I am trying to accomplish is just get a normal desktop environment
6 going on my clamshell iBook, and get my DWL-122 Dlink usb dongle to
7 work.
8
9 Mandrake and Fedora PPC efforts are really unstable right now. I have
10 installed both, and wrestled with too many problems, including so many
11 different snapshots available, apparently different builds from
12 different trees at different times. I can't even put together an
13 install without great frustration... Debian is fine, but I am tired of
14 beating my head against the wall to get linux-wlan-ng going. I know at
15 least one person has it working, but they are smarter than me. The
16 Yellowdog installer for v3 dies with a bug when it detects an HFS+
17 Extended partition, and v4 is only available for paying customers right
18 now. I thought about trying to fix the installer, but why? The fix is
19 already out there, just not for the public. OpenBSD and NetBSD do not
20 support this wireless device at this time.
21
22 I have given up a few times and just used OS X, but I am taking another
23 run at it.
24
25 SO, with that, my clamshell does not read CDRs. I have an HFS partition
26 at /dev/hda2 that I put my kernel, ramdisk, yaboot, and yaboot.conf on,
27 and load yaboot in OpenFirmWare. The install starts, but then cannot
28 use the loopback filesystem, because the installer is hardcoded to load
29 it from cd.
30
31 Is my only choice to set up netbooting on my ftp server, or can I do
32 this from OFW and a bootstrap partition?
33
34 Also does anyone have the DWL-122 or a USB prism2 dongle working under
35 Linux?
36
37 Thanks for any pointers,
38