From: linux_box <linux_box@××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user <gentoo-ppc-user@g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] XF86Config Mach64 GX on 9600 ppc
Date: Thu, 05 Dec 2002 22:30:06
1 Hello
2 I'm running a Mach64 GX card, 210888GX. Have conf'd X succesfully on at
3 least 10 linux boxes, but this one is paticularly resistant.
4
5 Can anyone point me to some specifics to help set this up on a 9600 ppc?
6
7 Do I have to use fbdev? Is there a better alternative driver? Is there a
8 particular kernel option I need to select? Can I change modes on the fly
9 eventually? Must I specify kernel boot video opts?
10
11 An additional annoying and optional (xfree) question: Does anyone know
12 why the OS9 (or OSX) vid driver doesn't need vert and horiz freq specs
13 specified to work, but X does? How crucial is it to get the exact
14 frequencies? (i have an old monitor, cant find specs on google)
15
16 And worse still: I've used Xeasyconf, but all it wants to enable is
17 640x480 regardless of what additional resolutions a choose -- only one
18 modeline shows up, for 640x480. And it defaults to 16bit, not 15 which
19 the GX card seems to like...?
20
21 Does it make sense to post XF86Configs for common Macs with stock vid
22 cards to help persons like me? (like one for the iMac revB or whatever,
23 which I assume would be the same conf for all users), or simply include
24 those in the (ppc) distro?
25
26 Can I ask 50 questions in one email? Is that annoying? ;-)
27
28 Thanks for any and all info!
35 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list