From: Cameron Blackwood <korg@×××××××××.org>
To: Pieter Van den Abeele <pvdabeel@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] ppc64 bootstrap problems. :)
Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 14:42:19
1 Pieter Van den Abeele writes:
2 |
3 |
4 | Added a comment. Please note that G5 32bit is rock solid, I'm running
5
6 I saw that. Cool. Hope im not being too annoying with these
7 questions/posts. :) Im trying to be helpful, _really_ i am :)
8
9 | java, kde, gnome, koffice, kdevelop, openoffice-ximian, windowmaker,
10 | fluxbox, xfce4,... all on my G5.
11 | (That vim thing is solved in ppc unstable.) The only thing required is
12 | run ldconfig before emerging vim.
13
14 Ahhhhhh! Bingo! Light dawns :)
15
16 Ah!!! There has been some confusion on my part. I had previously assumed
17 that mcpu=G5 had _only_ been for ppc64. I didnt realise that you ment
18 mcpu=G5 for 32 bit too.
19
20 Now I think about it, im not sure why I assumed that.
21
22 Ill do a rebuild with the cpu=g5 + other flags tomorrow and Ill try
23 and write up a 'howto' page (given I think it would have helped me, so
24 I assume it will help others too).
25
26 I think kernel will be the next challange, but I guess most of my
27 problems so far have been trying to build the ppc64 kernel, so maybe
28 the ppc32 will be easier. :)
29
30 |
31 | Use a 32bit kernel with 32bit userland, 32bit G5 support is extremely
32 | stable. The 64bit ames kernel is quite unstable for 32bit.
33
34 *nod* ok.
35
36 Im pretty keen to get into it for the project we're working on, maybe
37 I should get more used to g5 ppc32 first :) before I take the leap to
38 ppc64.
39
40 _Please_ email me if there is anything I can do to help/test/aid your
41 great work. (Even if it's just 'stop mailing me' :)
42
43 |
44 | Pieter
45 cam
48 / `Rev Dr' cam at darkqueen.org Roleplaying, virtual goth \
49 < http://darkqueen.org Poly, *nix, Python, C/C++, genetics, ATM >
50 \ [+61 3] 9809 1523[h] skeptic, Evil GM(tm). Sysadmin for hire /
51 ---------- Random Quote ----------
52 "Contrary to popular belief, penguins are not the salvation of modern
53 technology. Neither do they throw parties for the urban proletariat."
56 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list