From: Carl Hudkins <carl@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] Swapping hard drive on G3?
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 15:43:12
1 Hi...
2
3 I've recently acquired a blue G3 (dual-proc, 450MHz) with a 30GB IBM
4 DeskStar hard drive. Due to some I/O errors I occasionally receive with
5 this drive (even though I've disabled DMA), I've bought a 120GB drive to
6 replace it. What I need to know is, when copying everything over to the
7 new one, do I need to worry about the small partitions at the beginning
8 of the existing drive? Mac-fdisk shows (sorry if this wraps):
9
10 /dev/hda
11 # type name length base
12 ( size ) system
13 /dev/hda1 Apple_partition_map Apple 63 @ 1
14 ( 31.5k) Partition map
15 /dev/hda2 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 54 @ 64
16 ( 27.0k) Driver 4.3
17 /dev/hda3 Apple_Driver43 Macintosh 74 @ 118
18 ( 37.0k) Driver 4.3
19 /dev/hda4 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 54 @ 192
20 ( 27.0k) Unknown
21 /dev/hda5 Apple_Driver_ATA Macintosh 74 @ 246
22 ( 37.0k) Unknown
23 /dev/hda6 Apple_Bootstrap bootstrap 1600 @ 320
24 (800.0k) NewWorld bootblock
25
26 This Mac has *no* version of MacOS installed now; I wiped everything out
27 when installing Gentoo, except for those first 5 partitions that fdisk
28 would not allow me to delete. Are they necessary?
29
30 Thanks,
33 // Carl Hudkins :: Jabber yther@××××××××.info :: PGP 50238D9E
34 //