From: Joe McMahon <mcmahon@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentooppc-user] emerging the system get's aborted was Re:vi
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 14:22:25
On Sat, 18 May 2002, electric-light-heads wrote:

> hi > thanx 4 answering the Qs on vi.. > am looking forward to emerge vim @ gentoo > BUT BEFORE THAT > am struggling at the installing (gentoo from debian) process.. > did a further resaerch via the web > and.. > > extracted the stage1 @ the mounted /mnt/gentoo > did the > mount -o bind /proc /mnt/gentoo/proc > thang > cp /etc/resolv.conf /mnt/gentoo/etc > cp /etc/hosts /mnt/gentoo/etc > was done > edited fstab & make.conf > > chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash > emerge sync > env-update > emerge rsync > source /etc/profile > ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/Japan /etc/localtime > went ok > > emerge -fetchonly for > baselayout,gcc,glibe,binutils,gettext and system > also had no problem > > BUT > > emerge system > > made me wait for a long time and resulted into > > !!emerge aborting on /usr/portage/sys-libs/db/db-3.2.3h-r4.ebuild > > (don't know how to copy the log yet...excuse me) > > mmmmmmm... > > am trying thing @ iBook-Tangerine > and the partition 4 gentoo's root is only 500M > will it be impossible anyway? >
Urk. You will probably run out of room when you start trying to download and unpack the source trees for stuff like XFree86 and Mozilla; maybe even as early as the initial glibc build. I've got 9 GB devoted to gentoo right now; it's a little more than half full, but I've installed quite a few packages.
> thanx in advance... > > PS > > anyway is there also the original vi @ gentoo's tree? > if vim requires X then i would stick to vi.. > does it?
> wanna be a Sound oriented Gentoo user but controling thangs > only from the promt-mode.. >
--- Joe M.