From: Randy Barlow <randy@×××××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] hda/hdc
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 23:43:56
On Sat, 2007-01-13 at 10:10 -0800, Nathan Smith wrote:
> I just finished installing Gentoo on a Blue&White, so I can offer some > advice. Don't trouble yourself at first with the hardware (which bus > the HD is plugged in to, jumpers, etc.) Just install Gentoo to > /dev/hdc. Now once you boot into your kernel, more than likely the > devices will be ordered /dev/hda - hard drive /dev/hde - CD. So then > you have to chroot in again and manually edit yaboot.conf on the > bootstrap partition to point to /dev/hda. Also, don't forget to update > your /etc/fstab to reflect the fact that the hard drive is now /dev/hda.
Thanks to Michael and Nathan for your help so far. I've tried /dev/hda,c and e as being root upon rebooting, and every time I get a kernel panic. I'm not totally sure why, but I've been looking into the config to make sure I have things enabled properly (already found that I hadn't put support for my IDE interface, but that wasn't the only problem) Any other gotchas? I'm completely new to the Mac hardware, so this is kind of bewildering to me! Randy Barlow http://www.electronsweatshop.com If there was any justice, my face would be on a bunch of crappy merchandise! -- Homer Simpson Flaming Moe's -- gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list