From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Mac Mini PPC - Is this the right list?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 20:37:49
On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 1:15 PM, matt hull <mattmatteh@×××.com> wrote:
> > > This is my first PPC machine. I have used Gentoo for years as a > user type so I've probably built 30 x86 boxes but never a PPC so I > wasn't sure how to configure the kernel by hand so I swiped the > /proc/config.gz fine from the CD boot environment and pushed it down > into the chroot to use to configure my first PPC kernel. Does that > sound reasonable for a Mac Mini? I ran make oldconfig and just hit > enter until it finished. I figured if that kernel config could boot > the machine from the CD it should be OK for a first kernel from the > hard drive. Would you agree > the gentoo handbook tells you how to configure the kernel. > > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=7 > > Code Listing 3.1: Invoking menuconfig > > > # cd /usr/src/linux > # make pmac32_defconfig > # make menuconfig > > the default enables most if not all the ppc options you might need. after > you get it working you will probably want to start removing some. > > matt
Thanks Matt. I have the system built and running at this point. I had some trouble with yaboot, and still am to some extent, but the machine is booting and I can ssh in so I'm in pretty good shape at this point. My question at this time is how to append kernel boot options in /etc/yaboot.conf. When I boot the apple kernel from the Gentoo CD then when it switches to (I guess) the framebuffer where I see Tux the text on my monitor is jerky and not too readable. However if I use the suggested version apple video=ofonly then the text is fine. Scanning around on the web I found this example of how to do the same thing in yaboot.conf: image=/boot/kernel-2.4.26-gentoo-r3 label=2.4.26-gentoo-r3 root=/dev/hda4 append="video=ofonly" read-only I have added this to my /etc/yaboot.conf file but the video is still jumping around and isn't too readable. None the less the machine is completely up and running and doing an emerge -DuN system so this machine, which has sat on the shelf untouched for over a year, is not usable hardware thanks to Gentoo. Cheers, Mark -- gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o mailing list