From: Meredith Shepherd <mshepherd@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] sbp2 module fails after restart
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 2004 20:50:10
1 I'm trying to use my iPod as a hard drive in Linux, but find that after
2 once unloading the sbp2 module, I cannot access it again without
3 recompiling the kernel. My computer is a 900 Mhz iBook, my kernel
4 config file can be found at
5 http://www.simons-rock.edu/~msheph02/.config-a, and I am using the
6 script found at www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/rescan-scsi-bus.sh. A
7 play-by-play description:
8
9 1. Emerge gentoo-dev-sources (any revision of 2.6.7 behaves the same
10 way) and compile with the SBP-2 module.
11 2.Reboot using new kernel, load module sbp2, rescan scsi bus, mount ipod
12 successfully.
13 3. And now, choose your own adventure:
14 Option a: Unmount ipod and type 'sudo rmmod sbp2', whereupon the console
15 stops responding, returning no error messages. Type 'Ctl-C', or don't;
16 it has the same effect. Open a new console and reboot from there.
17 Option b: Reboot without manually unloading the sbp2 module and assume
18 that the module unloads successfully with all the other modules.
19 4. Repeat step 2. The module loads fine, but this time the firewire hd
20 is not recognized, and 'bash ./rescan-scsi-bus.sh' returns "No SCSI host
21 adapters found in sysfs". Since no firewire drives are found, the sbp2
22 module thinks it's not being used and now unloads without difficulty.
23 Try loading and unloading the module, plugging and unplugging the
24 firewire cable, and rescanning the scsi bus in every possible sequence,
25 all to no avail. Reboot.
26 5. Repeat step 4 many, many times, always with the same result (or lack
27 thereof).
28 6. Recompile the kernel (*without changing the config file*) and repeat
29 steps 2-5 ad infinitum.
30
31 If anyone can give me any suggestions or tips, I'd really appreciate it.
32 Thanks,
33 Meredith
36 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list