From: john-thomas richards <jtr@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] RS/6000 matroxfb display corruption
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:02:31
1 I am attempting to install on an RS/6000 with two power3 processors and
2 a Matrox Mystique video card. The cd (2005.0; I also tried 2004.3)
3 seems to boot properly (that is, without error messages on the text
4 console). The framebuffer seems to work as I get two smiling penguins
5 on the screen. The problem is the text on the monitor is garbled and/or
6 backwards. For example, the text under the penguins appears to be
7 Japanese or Chinese. If I type 'ls' I get what appears to be a
8 directory listing: "[some strange symbol]SNARLBT." I think this is
9 supposed to be TRANS.TBL. If I 'cd /' and 'ls' I get a mixture of
10 Japanese/Chinese-appearing characters and directory names such as
11 "toob", "toor", "nibs", and "emoh" instead of "boot", "root", "sbin", and
12 "home". A couple hours with Google has not been enlightening. I am new
13 to the PPC platform and new to Gentoo. Any ideas?
14 --
15 john-thomas
16 ------
17 A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only
18 exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largess
19 from the public treasury.
20 Sir Alex Fraser Tytler (1742-1813)
21 --
22 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list