From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] Glibc pooched. Borked system.
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2005 06:16:47
1 quoth the David Bélanger:
2 > On Sat, Dec 10, 2005 at 01:12:05PM -0800, darren kirby wrote:
3 > > quoth the David Bélanger:
4 > > > On Wed, Dec 07, 2005 at 09:33:14PM -0800, darren kirby wrote:
5 > > >
6 > > > Did you try the glibc on the installation/Live CDs?
7 > > > If there is no packages, simply copy all the glibc files over and try
8 > > > it.
9 > >
10 > > I have the universal install disk. The glibc package here will just be
11 > > source code wont it? I guess I could just re-unpack the stage 3 file, but
12 > > I am unsure how this will affect the packages I have already
13 > > installed/updated, such as everything you do after unpacking the stage
14 > > tarball in the install guide.
15 > >
16 > > I am unsure of how to separate the glibc files from the rest in the stage
17 > > tarball.
18 >
19 > If you can boot a Live/Installation CD, there will be a glibc on the /
20 > filesystem mounted by the kernel. To get a list of files, you can use
21 > the database on your disk:
22 > /var/db/pkg/sys-libs/glibc-*/CONTENTS
23 >
24 > Basically, you just want to have a valid set of files so that
25 > you can rebuild glibc.
26 >
27 > I erased before coreutils (ls, rm, cp, etc.) and I simply copied all of
28 > them from my Debian partition. For some weird version the ones on the
29 > Gentoo CD were not working... Once, I had valid binaries, I just
30 > re-emerged coreutils and everything was fine.
31 >
32 > Anyway, you might want to consider adding "buildpkg" to FEATURES in
33 > /etc/make.conf. That way, next time something goes wrong you just
34 > re-installed the previous version. buildpkg will do a tarball
35 > for everything that gets installed on your system. So, you never
36 > get stuck by not have a pre-compiled package.
37
38 A good idea...
39
40 > In any case, you can always extract the full base tarball from the
41 > installation CD. You will get more than what is needed but you
42 > wont have to reinstall. It messes a little the system but you
43 > can always remove later any files not owned by any installed ebuilds.
46 Thank you, this is what I'll do.
47
48 > David
49
50 -d
53 > David Bélanger
54 > Web page: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/
55 > Public key: http://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~dbelan2/public_key.txt
58 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
59 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
60 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972