From: jaspal.kallar.gen@×××××.se
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] tilde, pipe and other keys on powerbook
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 18:51:32
1 On Thu, 27 May 2004, Carsten Ruecker wrote:
2
3 > jaspal.kallar.gen@×××××.se wrote:
6 > > On Thu, 27 May 2004, Carsten Ruecker wrote:
7 > >
8 > >> i'm trying to get my Powerbook G4 Titanium keyboard to produce characters
9 > >> like ~|{}[]. So far it didn't work out. Can anybody help?
10 >
11 > > Ok, which language do you require for your keyboard and what is the value
12 > of
13 > > KEYMAP in /etc/rc.conf ?
14 >
15 > well, the language required is german, so my rc.config says
16 > KEYMAP="de-latin1". That's ok as the umlauts etc. are mapped correctly, but
17 > special keys like the previously mentioned ones are not available. On the
18 > MacOSX german keyboard one was required to press something like alt-7 to get
19 > a pipe-character and alt-n for a tilde, but this doesn't work on Gentoo with
20 > my current settings. I also tried to load mac-de-latin1 as keymap, which
21 > rendered my keyboard completely unusable.
25 OK, I have a Swedish keyboard and i'm not sure I can help.
26 However, I believe you have the *pc* german layout since "de-latin1" is
27 found under
28
29 "usr/share/keymaps/i386/qwertz/de-latin1.map.gz".
30
31 To have it like on mac os x, I don't know since I have come from a pc background and prefer to
32 use the pc layout (since I am used to it). Also I use gentoo 90 % OS X 10%
33 of my time.
34
35 I think there are solutions if you search under
36 http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php
37
38 perhaps with words "german keyboard mac".
39
40 Try posting in the german gentoo forum,
41 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewforum.php?f=28
42
43 Good luck.
50 gentoo-ppc-user@g.o mailing list