From: Calum Selkirk <cselkirk@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@g.o
Cc: gentooppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentooppc-user] Re: gentoo-ppc
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 06:59:55
1 * System Administrator [sysadm@×××××××××××.com] [2002-06-11 15:59 -0400]:
2
3 > In the ppc install instructions it says
4 >
5 > Note: Be sure that /etc/make.conf has the ppc settings. It should
6 > probably just be a link to /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc.
7
8 At one point in time gentoo-ppc had it's own portage whereas now it uses
9 gentoo-portage (along with the x86 and sparc ports). The quickstart was
10 (AIR) written prior to this merger. If you are using the 1.2.{iso,tbz2)
11 then the /etc/make.conf SYNC variable will point to gentoo-portage,
12 which i believe is what the quickstart author (David Chamberlain) means
13 by "ppc-settings" (along with CFLAGS and CHOST).
14
15 > My question is 1. is this old info, 2.what does this mean, am i to
16 > create a link named /etc/make.conf pointing at
17 > /usr/portage/profiles/default-ppc, (this by the way is a directory?)?
18 > What about the existing make.conf, the text file is this only good for
19 > x86 installs?
20
21 My guess is that this was written prior to portage 1.8.9.
22 I think (and David can correct me) this now means make.profile being
23 sym-linked to /usr/portage/defualt/defualt-ppc-1.0
24
25 OK we need better docs ;)
26
27 PPC questions are best fielded in the gentooppc-user list (here Cc'd)
28 see:
29
30 http://lists.gentoo.org/
31
32 HTH
33
34 cal
35
36 ps. omniarch-ny.com <= another gentoo-ppc user in NY oiii