From: Jon <kreator@××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-ppc-user] iMac ATI Rage 128 OpenGL
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 2003 01:34:05
1 Been working on getting OpenGL to work with this iMac, which
2 has a ATI Rage 128 (Pro?), I have two ways to set it up
3 while both ways display the standard screen fine, they are
4 alittle different.
5
6 Have installed xfree-drm, and compiled all the necessary
7 stuff in a ben2 (2.4.22) kernel, enabled DRI. (did not
8 enable the 'old' drm drivers... ??)
9
10 Here's one the ways I run the XF86Config, and each has
11 different side effects:
12
13 1> Use the "fbdev" driver
14
15 Driver "fbdev"
16 Option "UseFBDev"
17 Option "dpms"
18 Option "AGPMode" "2"
19
20 Running it this way, screen is fine, but mplayer always
21 plays the smaller size of the screen, (ie, not in full
22 screen, it won't), if I run an OpenGL app, like tuxracer, or
23 an OpenGL xscreensaver, it just goes back to 'software'
24 mode, (atleast tux racer does, xscreensavers that are OpenGL
25 just don't run at all), but it *doesn't* freeze.
26
27 2> Use the 'ati' driver
28
29 Driver "ati"
30 Option "UseFBDev"
31 Option "ForcePCIMode" <---- see below
32 #Option "AGPMode" <---- off
33
34 This way, regular screen is fine, I have to use the Option
35 ForcePCIMode tho, because if I don't the screen is just
36 plain messed up, you can't see anything. But mplayer WILL
37 play a movie using the entire full screen. And as far
38 OpenGL, it will TRY to go into OpenGL mode (tuxracer and
39 xscreensaver) but then freezes the screen, I can not do
40 anything I can not move the mouse, but the computer is still
41 working because in tuxracer, the sound is still playing.
42
43 So, the question is, Anyone have gotten any OpenGL working
44 with an ATI Rage128? Also, I guess one of the questions is
45 how can I get the "ati" driver to work in "AGPMode"?
46
47 "AGPMode" "1" ?
48
49 Any help is apprecated...