From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-ppc-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-ppc-user] yaboot has kicked my butt - 5 times?!
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2010 20:41:04
1 On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 8:12 AM, Joseph Jezak <josejx@g.o> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > None of these things are weird, they're expected!
6 Really? OK - cool then.
7
8 > When you start the system with "init=/bin/bash", the only thing your
9 > system does is start bash as the only process. Things like mounting
10 > proc, remounting the root file system r/w (and setting up mtab) aren't
11 > done because they're part of the normal startup process.
14 I need to find a good _SIMPLE_ book on how Linux boots. I'm just a
15 long time use with no real sys admin background so for a decade or
16 longer I just want the things go by at boot and then use my system.
17
18 > Can you run fsck.ext3 from the shell that starts when you replace init?
21 I cannot due to the same sort of message I get when trying to boot:
22
23 e2fsck_check_if_mount: Can't check if filesystem is mounted due to
24 missing mtab file
25 fsck.ext3: Device or resource busy while trying to open /dev/hda4
26 Filesystem mounted or opened exclusively by another program?
27
28 For kicks I tried umount /dev/hda4 but that complains about the
29 missing mtab file also. It seems from the man page I could force it
30 but I didn't want to do that, and again if I did and it even worked
31 then where would the system read fsck.ext3 from to do the check since
32 it's on /dev/hda4 itself?
33
34 > Also, which version of udev are you using? I forgot to ask if you're
35 > running ~ppc instead of ppc, you may want to try switching to the
36 > PATA_MACIO driver in order for the system to work properly.
37
38 udev would be whatever comes with a stable ppc system these days.
39
40 Other than running ~ppc portage and sandbox the machine is currently
41 all stable with no USE flags. The make.conf file is pretty much empty
42 other than the stuff the install has me put in. (Which mirrors to sync
43 from, etc.)
44
45 I've gone back and done a couple more experiments:
46
47 1) So far anything I try that refers to the drive as /dev/sda4 results
48 in a VFS not syncing type error so at least as far as the boot process
49 goes hda4 seems to be the right device.
50
51 2) I tried building in the PATA_MACIO driver but that by itself didn't
52 change anything:
53
54 (chroot) livecd / # cat /usr/src/linux/.config | grep MACIO
55 CONFIG_PATA_MACIO=y
56 CONFIG_ADB_MACIO=y
57 (chroot) livecd / #
58
59 The boot still fails at the same point with the same message. Possibly
60 some other ATA driver is being selected ahead of this one and maybe it
61 needs to be removed from the kernel? I don't know what to remove
62 though so I'm sort of stuck on that account.
63
64 3) If this is a kernel config issue - and it seem plausible that it is
65 - then I'll point out that the kernel config page of the Gentoo PPC
66 Istall Guide had a possible command that didn't work for me:
67
68 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-ppc.xml?part=1&chap=7
69
70 Specifically:
71
72 make pmac32_defconfig
73
74 which supposedly will make a config file that would boot most 32-bit
75 machines. Unfortunately the command doesn't work for me on current
76 kernels. The install guide should be updated to either remove this or
77 make it more clear if I need to do anything more than that command in
78 the /usr/src/linux directory.
79
80 I've looked around at lots more stuff in my kernel config and compared
81 it to what the Install guide says. I don't see any differences but I
82 suspect there probably are.
83
84 Thanks!
85